As the educational landscape continues to require more of students, teachers are facing serious challenges to their existing instructional practices. Yet changing current practices is difficult, making it that much more important to understand the nature of teaching expertise and the practices that support it. By creating a supportive environment for teachers to develop together, educators can support one another’s growth as they all navigate these complexities. Embedding Formative Assessment—A Two-Year Professional Development Pack for Schools and Colleges: Teacher Learning Communities in Action, created by renowned international education researchers Dylan Wiliam and Siobhán Leahy, provides all the materials needed for a complete professional development day exploring the components of effective Teacher Learning Communities (TLCs), the Assessment for Learning (AfL) concept, and their impact on the implementation of formative assessment.
In addition, a complete set of materials for developing eighteen monthly follow-up workshops are delivered on two CD-ROM discs that include:
- Microsoft Word and Adobe PDF document formats
- Videos of Dylan Wiliam discussing formative assessment
- Interactive PowerPoint presentations
- Real-world video footage of classroom practice
- Interviews with teachers and students
- Facilitation notes for TLC workshop leaders
- Material covering peer lesson observation and personal action planning
- Embedded content hyperlinks for easy navigation
These workshops provide TLC members and leaders with all the guidance and resources they need to make formative assessment meaningful and productive. Not only do they illustrate the characteristics of effective, skillfully implemented teacher learning communities—they also demonstrate exactly how it all comes together in the classroom. This product is sold as a single-building, non-transformable site license and is not to be used for any other purposes.