Using FIVES for Writing: Communicating, Thinking, and Learning Effectively by Mary Shea and Nancy Roberts is written for all teachers who wish to improve their students’ writing skills, regardless of subject area.
Based on years of hands-on classroom experience and research, this book breaks down the steps for both reading with understanding and writing with confidence:
- Recognizing writing as a fundamental life skill
- Identifying all pre-writing considerations
- Visualizing the plan for an ABBC paragraph
- Expanding the process to an effective essay
- Synthesizing information from multiple sources
The authors’ previous book, The FIVES Strategy for Reading Comprehension (2016), guided educators through effective reading instruction. Now, in Using FIVES for Writing: Communicating, Thinking, and Learning Effectively, Shea and Roberts expand their technique to help students of all grades meet the standards for writing competence.
Product Code: BPP180004
ISBN: 9781943920303 | 07/23/18
"This book gives teachers tools to teach writing across any content area. It would serve as a great developmental tool for educators in a K-12 setting."
- Tracy Lewandowski, Educator, Lincoln County School District
"Shea and Roberts provide a valuable resource for teaching writing which will help teachers to break down the complex thinking needed for making and supporting claims."
- Julie J. Henry, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Elementary Education, Literacy and Educational Leadership
"The book demonstrates a sure-fire format for constructed responses – the ABBC strategy – in order to provide students with a powerful navigation system in crafting their constructed responses painlessly, concisely, clearly - and, best of all, one that hones their critical thinking skills at the same time."
- Rosanna DiMillo Sandell, JD, Administrator, Lockport City School District
"Written in a clear voice with a logical structure, Shea and Roberts present an ideal resource for teachers working with a variety of students in a collaborative and supportive environment."
- Rosemary Murray, Ed. D., Professor Emerita, Graduate Education and Leadership Department , Canisius College
"Presented with strong research support, the new FIVES is a fitting complement to The FIVES Strategy for Reading Comprehension (2016) and most suitably geared for teachers who are preparing student to efficiently communicate in today’s techno/global society."
- Maria A. Ceprano, PhD, Department of Elementary Education and Reading, Buffalo State College
"Thank you for providing fatigued educators with a practical, yet effective framework, that incorporates standards-based expectations, rigor, and purposeful writing into all grade levels and genres.”
- Melinda Andolina, Reading Specialist, Adjunct Professor, Graduate Literacy Canisius College
"Using the FIVES strategy, teachers can easily identify the baby steps to becoming strong readers and competent writers."
- Nicki McCullough Calabrese, Ph.D., Canisius College
"This book is a pragmatic teaching tool, vetted in practice, and tied to research. Using FIVES For Writing is powerful enough to be implemented as a standalone to enhance writing in the classroom and serves as a perfect companion to The FIVES Strategy for Reading Comprehension.
- Ryan Schoenfeld, Ed.D., Educator/Administrator of 25 years