100% Success Rate with Our Partner Schools in 2019
Percent of Total Possible Points
- Raise school grades in one year and improve core instruction
- Avoid state-imposed requirements for school closure, charter conversion, or management by an external operator
Break the "In and Out" Cycle of Underachieving and Create a Sustainable Path Forward
Effectively Improve Student Behavior
Through building teacher leaders capacity to support peers, classrooms buzz with enthusiasm, students self-regulate and keep themselves focused on their learning.
Significantly Increase Teacher Retention
With daily PLC collaboration, leadership team and decision-making opportunities and actionable professional learning, overall job satisfaction among teachers skyrockets.
Quickly Raise School Performance
Our comprehensive, integrated approach includes leadership coaching, actionable feedback, PLC support, and ongoing data analysis to drive strategies and action steps for immediate implementation.
Download This Useful Checklist to Self-Assess Your Current Turnaround Plan
Download this free guide to help in developing and revising your school improvement plans. This guide includes the four most important elements of school improvement and their associated tasks.
Why Do LSI Partner Schools Improve So Quickly?
Two-Phase Approach to Sustainable School Improvement
Our partner schools benefit from a variety of supports to exit School Turnaround Status—or prevent the need for it. We partner together to build each school’s capacity for sustainable improvement in two phases:
- Establishing Supportive Conditions for Learning phase ensures that the school has the strong, supportive expectations, systems, and processes that foster rigorous teaching and learning for every student.
- Transformation of Core Instruction phase shifts the school to engaging, student-centered, standards-based learning. Teachers and school leaders build on a strong culture of team-based, mutual support to prepare students for success in the new economy of the 21st Century
Through These Two Phases, Your Schools Will Grow in These Four Key Areas
ESTABLISH A CULTURE
LEAD, TEACH, AND LEARN
INFORMED BY THE RIGHT DATA
- Strengthen core instruction – the proactive response to state level mandates
From the very start we help you implement a proactive response to state level mandates to quickly close educational achievement gaps. The path to this goal is equity and access to strong core instruction for all students.
- Build strong leadership teams
Leadership is the most influential and critical element of turnaround. We help you recruit and build a strong leadership teams with the skills to foster a supportive climate for learning, effective classroom management, and high quality, engaging core instruction.
- Establish a culture of collaboration
Collaborative teacher teams are the key to sustainable school improvement through strong core instruction. Agile teacher-led teams can swiftly identify and close learning gaps before they become achievement gaps.
- Lead, teach, and learn informed by the right data
From principals to school leadership teams, teacher teams, and student academic teams, everyone is responsible to track and verify daily evidence of learning to the standards. These data drive coaching actions that result in rapid, measurably improved teaching and learning for all students.
Expect a Large Reduction in Student Referrals
80% Student Referral Reduction
Foster Students' Self-Control and Ownership of Their Own Behavior
Student behavior referrals decrease as their engagement in learning increases.
Schools for Rigor builds engagement through student-led academic teams. Working together through challenging learning tasks, students develop
- Higher level cognitive skills
- Social and emotional competence
- Resilience and self-efficacy
Teachers guide academic teams to assume greater ownership of learning, building the 21st century skills their students will need in future careers.
Significantly Increase Teacher Retention
Teacher Turnover at Moseley Elementary School
Teacher turnover at Moseley Elementary School decreased by 39 percent from the 2016-2017 school year to the 2018-2019 school year.
Teacher Turnover at Lakewood Elementary School
Core teacher turnover at Lakewood Elementary School decreased by 55 percent in just one year. Twenty-three out of 33 core teachers had to be replaced in the 2017-2018 school year, while only five out of 33 core teachers had to be replaced in the 2018-2019 school year.
Empower Teachers as Instructional Experts, Peer Coaches, and Leaders
Teachers see rapid improvement in their students' learning, engagement, and behavior as a direct result of their growing expertise in their instructional practice through:
- PLCs that provide regular support through peer coaching and feedback, with teacher teams ensuring that everyone succeeds in moving student achievement forward.
- Leadership development to guide and support their teams to continuously improved instruction.
Teachers form a strong sense of belonging and ownership of student learning at their schools once they experience the Schools for Rigor culture of high expectations, mutual accountability, collegial support, and engaged, self-regulated students.
It's going to be really powerful in August when our scholars return, and all of our staff is here.
The Next 3 Things To Do Now
Speak with an Expert
Get a personalized walk-through of our solutions and capabilities for best impact
Develop Your Action Plan
Identify where you are, what you are trying to accomplish and how to get there
Transform Your School
Create a highly engaged learning community with improved outcomes for all
The Learning Sciences Promise
At Learning Sciences, we hold ourselves accountable to help you achieve your goals. We partner with you to ensure you can break the cycle of low performance once and for all with a school improvement plan that provides a sustainable path forward.
- Throughout the project, we conduct school board updates and community meetings to address issues and concerns before they arise and build a sense of trust.
- We report our metrics every 30 days to ensure we are making progress and that we meet or exceed our plan for improvement, holding ourselves accountable to you.
- We provide clear, outcome-based reports and communication that can be used to share with all stakeholders.
Why Trust Learning Sciences?
At Learning Sciences International, we know you want to be a leader of a high-achieving district, confident in the systems put in place to support previously struggling schools. Our proven model has helped district and school partners nationwide to transform low performing schools into models of student engagement, academic rigor, and high social and emotional skill.
As former district and school leaders we have experienced these same challenges firsthand. We know how frustrating, overwhelming, and terrifying this can be.
That's why our expert teams, led by former Principals, Teachers, Instructional Coaches and District/State Leaders have devoted the last several years to creating a research-based and field-tested method to dramatically improve even the most persistently struggling schools.
As your trusted partner, we hold ourselves accountable to make sure your struggling schools can break the cycle of low performance once and for all and launch them on a sustainable path to becoming models of rigorous instruction and student engagement.